Saturday, April 7, 2012

Coloring Eggs

This year I thought it would be fun to use natural dyes to color eggs for Easter.  I looked at lots of recipes and decided which spices and vegetables looked like they would make the best dyes.  I used things like blueberries, red and yellow onions, and tumeric and paprika.

 Beets for red eggs

 Red cabbage for purple

Spinach for green

Some steeped in hot water

Some boiled in saucepans

They looked like rich beautiful dyes when I put the eggs in...

But they all came out pale and sickly, or without any color at all.

So, in the end, I used regular old food coloring on brown eggs from my neighbor's chickens, and I got the rich earthy jewel tones I had been hoping for.  Conclusion:  natural dyes are fun, but they (at least the ones I tried) don't produce much color.  Brown eggs and food coloring work very well!

My finished eggs, a combination of natural dyes and food coloring on brown eggs.  Have a very happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment